Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nobody gives a Somali Wild Ass



It seems the only people enthusiastic about the Somali Wild Ass exhibit here at the zoo are the interns and the anthro class that observes them. While obviously the Grevy's Zebras are the more popular equid on property I can't help but reserve all of my affection for our population of dibokali (as they are known in their native range in Somalia.) I do believe that 1.5 hours daily of watching them helps in growing attached to them, but honestly, they're so cute. How could anyone not love them? The foals still have some of their baby qualities, playing and nipping at each other and curious about everything. The mares are the patient mothers knowingly watching over the herd's young...well...except when the hay is out. Then its every Ass for themselves. Whenever I'm near Red Rocks with people the little child in me comes out as I impatiently wait to go see the SWAs (and the takins across the path from them) and should nobody give them as much attention as I do, I fight the urge to stamp my foot and cross my arms and DEMAND that everyone give their full adoration to them. Well, maybe thats a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea.

The point is this: The Asses are lively, unique, cute creatures that once upon a time I would have walked right past before I got to know what they were like and how important it is to conserve them. Before I was an intern, maybe I would have laughed at the sign that said "Ass" but now saying it is just habit (After all, its "Assinus" not "Donkinus.") I think a lot of people are willing to rush by their exhibit out of embarrasment or the belief that they are your common farm donkey and they miss the important fact that this is a rare sight; even for research, the upbringing of foals of this sub-species is a new thing to see. Really, when you think about it, its amazing.

On another note; working at Walt Disney World my friends and I surmised that there are two kinds of leash kids: the dog backpack kids and the monkey backpack kids. The dog kids are the obediant ones, sticking close to mommy, following when told to come. The monkey kids are all over the place and you know that if it wasn't for the leash, they'd be off in a mad dash. The mothers usually look frazzled and tired. This observation has proven to be true also here at the zoo. Next they'll come out with gator leashes and those will be the bitey kids.



1 comment: